Publications and Graphic Design Specialist
Do you enjoy the satisfaction of taking a project from start to finish? Do you have a keen eye for detail? Are you known for being organized and having exceptional juggling skills in order to manage multiple projects and meet tight timeframes? Do you have expert-level skills to manage the production of award-winning print materials? And do all of that while working with a leading nonprofit with an entrepreneurial spirit? If you answered YES to these questions, we want to meet you!
The Language Conservancy, a nonprofit organization that publishes materials for endangered languages, is currently seeking a full-time, experienced publications specialist with excellent document/desktop publishing, graphics creation and communication skills to join our team. Candidates must be detail-oriented with the ability to turn designs around quickly and error-free. They must have good communication skills, an enthusiastic and positive attitude and take pride in their work.
TLC is looking for a publications and graphic Arts Specialist to add to our print and digital production team. The ideal candidate would possess excellent attention to detail and ability to carry out large publication projects for print and digital applications. A designer who has experience in creating content and layout for user-friendly pedagogical materials will be strongly considered.
- Provides support to Publications Director to create layouts for various print and digital products including textbooks, picture books, and mobile apps. Will also assist in audio editing and image formatting.
- Assist Graphic Designer and PR Director in creating graphics and editing photos for social media campaigns.
- Assist Graphic Designer and Publications Director on in-house printing production projects; keeps track of paper and toner inventory and coordinates repairs of printers
- Organizes and labels photos from events
- Takes care of small print/design projects as they come up: photo editing, flyers, letterheads, etc.
Required Competencies & Experience:
- Associates degree in Graphic Design/Visual Arts & Communication or Marketing Communications with coursework in print production or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Minimum 2+ years of professional design experience, document publishing, graphics experience, desktop publishing, or marketing communication is required.
- Candidate must have knowledge and design experience in Adobe Creative Suites (esp. InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator), Acrobat, and Microsoft Office for Mac and PC.
- Ability to expertly use and configure hardware such as computers, scanners, printers.
- Must be immersed in the fundamentals of graphic design at the highest level with strong layout, design skills, and creative vision. Ability to take creative direction and work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Be self-motivated, strong work ethic, driven, upbeat, with strong integrity and honesty.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and produce creative designs in a delegated amount of time while maintaining attention to detail. Provably able to turn out accurate, clean and well-designed work very quickly. Must be able to manage multiple projects and deadlines with finesse and humor.
- Must be organized, efficient and thorough with strong document control and management skills.
- Must have good verbal and writing skills- good knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation. Able to proofread your own work to produce accurate and high-quality designs with strong attention to detail.
- Keeps abreast of emerging technologies and design programs and willing to learn new skills.
- Must be able to adapt to changes and problem solve.
- Ability to work beyond normal working hours in order to meet tight deadlines is required.
This position is responsible for the professional layout, file preparation, execution for in-house print projects from concept to completion and other projects as assigned. Responsibilities are to electronically create, build and assemble various print pedagogical materials projects in accordance with specifications. Under the direction of the Print Publications Manager you will be responsible for the development of print projects and other deliverables by performing publishing and graphics tasks. Working knowledge of formatting large book-type documents a must, including building templates with style sheets and master pages. You will need to prepare proofs for approval, make corrections and modifications to proofs as requested, and format all documents for consistency, compliance, branding, and professional quality.
You will need to review projects for accuracy and coordinate the routing of projects to ensure delivery by deadlines, including preparing files for outside print vendors or preparing and outputting files for in-house digital production printer or large format printer with proper profiles.
Time Frame: 12 months initially, possibility of extension.
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
This is a contract position for up to 40 hours per week, with a schedule that can be flexibly set. Interested applicants should email resume with a link to your online portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org – write “Graphic Arts Associate Application” in the subject line.
Must include a link to online portfolio along with resume when responding.